Monday, January 14, 2013

Breastfeeding and Feminism

I suppose I should be introducing myself now.  I am Marilyn.  Jessica invited me to her blog of awesomeness.  I'm not the most exciting person in the world.  I'm not the smartest.  I might not be awesome enough for this blog of awesomeness.  I have 3 kids, I work from home, and I home school.
I've been a human factory for the past 7 and a half years.   This means that every moment since sometime around mid-2005, my body has been used to grow and feed tiny people.  That's kind of awesome in and of itself, right?  Sometimes I feel like a cow, but most of the time I feel like I deserve a cape. 
Does this make me the anti-feminist?  Some say it does.  Some say I'm not living up to my potential   Are women like me setting our generation back?  Should I stick a bottle in their mouth, throw them in a daycare, and run wildly back into the workforce?  Or better yet, should I have remained celibate to focus on my career?  I think not.
It's empowering for me to be able to do what I do.  Kind of an ego trip, actually.  I could look at each of my babies up until around 6 months and say, "I made that."  Sure, I had the help of a sperm cell from my husband, but other than that, it's all me.  Every fat roll on them up until then came from my body.  I've used my milk to heal diaper rash, pinkeye, eczema, burns, mosquito bites, and scrapes.  I am Wonder Woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment